Distance: 9.0 miles
Drive time: 28 minutes
April to September 09:30 – 18:00 (last entry 17:00)
October to March 09:30 – 17:00 (last entry 16:00)
01 January 11:00 – 17:00
The castle is located in the centre of Edinburgh and is built into the Castle Rock, a dormant volcanic cliff face. Situated in front of Edinburgh Castle is the Esplanade, a large open square used for the Castle Concerts in July and the Edinburgh Military Tattoo in August.
- The Crown Room with the Scottish Crown Jewels and the Stone of Destiny;
- The Great Hall;
- The Royal Palace;
- St Margaret’s Chapel – the oldest part of the castle, dating back to the 12th century;
- The Prisons of War;
- Mons Meg – a fifteenth century siege gun;
- The One O’Clock Gun – fired daily since 1861;
- The Scottish National War Memorial;
- Panoramic views across Edinburgh.
Visitors to Edinburgh Castle can choose between guided and audio guided tours.
For further information, as well as sample itineraries:
VISIT THE OFFICIAL WEBSITE