Dalmahoy Hotel and Country Club have demonstrated a valuable commitment to sustainability by being awarded with a Gold Green Tourism award. Green Tourism is considered one of the most rigorous certification programmes of its kind. It is the only one independently validated by the International Centre for Responsible Tourism (ICRT).
We are committed to working in a sustainable way. Our aim is to be Edinburgh’s most sustainable country house hotel.
We are undertaking the following actions in order to achieve this:
- We reduce pollution, emissions and waste. For example, we are in the process of removing single-use plastic (like toiletries and drinking straws), we are introducing an electric car charging point and have switched to a fleet of electric golf buggies. With waste management, we undertake regular audits to ensure that we are reducing our overall volume of waste as well as maximizing recycling opportunities as a “zero waste to landfill” establishment.
- We reduce the use of energy, water and other resources. We are reducing our consumption of energy year on year through the use of energy efficient appliances, good management and investment in renewable energy sources like our new Combined Heat & Power Plant. We have switched our lighting to timer-controlled LED lights. And all of our waste water is treated cost-effectively on-site and we audit our water use.
- We raise awareness, encourage participation and train employees in sustainable business practices
- We assist customers to use products and services in an environmentally sensitive way - for example by encouraging our guests to separate waste and minimise washing of towels unnecessarily.
- We do everything we can to conserve the beautiful green spaces surrounding our hotel. We have bee nests on our golf courses, a bird hide and a badger conservation area.
- We expect similar environmental standards from all suppliers and contractors and have a sustainable procurement and purchasing policy to support this.
- We liaise with the local community and we partner with a local charity to support each year.
- We have joined the Green Tourism Business Scheme as an indicator of our sustainable practices.