We are committed to working sustainably
Dalmahoy Hotel and Country Club have demonstrated a valuable commitment to sustainability by being awarded with a Gold Green Tourism award. Green Tourism is considered one of the most rigorous certification programmes of its kind. It is the only one independently validated by the International Centre for Responsible Tourism (ICRT).
We are committed to working in a sustainable way. Our aim is to be Edinburgh’s most sustainable country house hotel.
We are undertaking the following actions in order to achieve this:
- We reduce pollution, emissions and waste. For example, we are in the process of removing single-use plastic (like toiletries and drinking straws), we are introducing an electric car charging point and have switched to a fleet of electric golf buggies. With waste management, we undertake regular audits to ensure that we are reducing our overall volume of waste as well as maximizing recycling opportunities as a “zero waste to landfill” establishment.
- We reduce the use of energy, water and other resources. We are reducing our consumption of energy year on year through the use of energy efficient appliances, good management and investment in renewable energy sources like our new Combined Heat & Power Plant. We have switched our lighting to timer-controlled LED lights. And all of our waste water is treated cost-effectively on-site and we audit our water use.
- We raise awareness, encourage participation and train employees in sustainable business practices
- We assist customers to use products and services in an environmentally sensitive way - for example by encouraging our guests to separate waste and minimise washing of towels unnecessarily.
- We do everything we can to conserve the beautiful green spaces surrounding our hotel. We have bee nests on our golf courses, a bird hide and a badger conservation area.
- We expect similar environmental standards from all suppliers and contractors and have a sustainable procurement and purchasing policy to support this.
- We liaise with the local community and we partner with a local charity to support each year.
- We have joined the Green Tourism Business Scheme as an indicator of our sustainable practices.
We’re banning throwaway plastic toiletries! We’ve just announced that we’re phasing out plastic miniature toiletries from our 215 bedrooms, which we estimate will save over 175,000 30ml plastic bottles – enough to fill THREE double decker Lothian buses – from ending up in the landfill every year.
Instead, we’re mounting larger-sized eco-friendly shampoo, shower gels and body creams to bathroom walls, which will be refilled from larger containers, allowing our guests to enjoy luxury Scottish Fine Soaps products in a much more environmentally-friendly way.
In conjunction with @greentourism, of which Dalmahoy is an accredited gold member, we’re calling on all Scottish accommodation providers to follow lead, and we’re inviting hoteliers from across Scotland to get in touch and discuss ways the industry can unite to take collective action.
Dalmahoy has been tackling a number of other initiatives since becoming an independent property almost three years ago. These include converting plastic drinking straws to paper, recycling all food waste gaining zero waste to landfill certification, installing a timer-controlled lighting system, and switching to a new fleet of electric golf buggies.